Wake Tech. CC NEH Grant resources now available in the NCLOR
As part of a National Endowment for the Humanities grant, the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences Division at Wake Technical Community College has developed and implemented a project, “America’s Wars: Individual Experience and Cultural Memory.” These resources have been made available in the open educational resources collection within the NCLOR.
The goal of this project is to render more visible the experiences of military veterans and their families by incorporating their perspectives into humanities courses. Additionally, the America’s Wars project aims to help WTCC veterans make the difficult transition from military to college. This project also strives to present an accurate depiction of the nature of war and what soldiers endure physically and psychologically in order to foster both a better understanding of veterans and to educate students who may be considering military service or transitioning from it.
By incorporating war-related materials into English, history, psychology, and philosophy courses, this project promotes cultural awareness and sensitivity to the experiences of others and enhances students’ critical thinking by helping them understand the importance of questioning prevailing beliefs and master narratives.
NCCCS courses in which the NEH resources were incorporated were:
- ENG-242 British Literature II
- HIS-111 World Civilizations I
- HIS-112 World Civilizations II
- HIS-121 Western Civilization I
- HIS-122 Western Civilization II
- HIS-131 American History I
- HIS-132 American History II
- HUM-115 Critical Thinking
- PHI-215 Philosophical Issues
- PHI-240 Introduction to Ethics
To access these resources, you can do any of the following:
- Since these resources are open, you can access the series via Guest Access here:NEH Wake Tech CC Grant .
- Also you may log into the NCLOR and click on the More button on the left menu bar. Then click the Resource Series link and click the series of your choice.
- If you are K-14 faculty, you can add the links to the resources directly to your LMS based course. (learn how)