Today, 14 new open textbooks (eBooks) from Siyavula Education were added to the open educational resources collection in the NCLOR. Siyavula Education is South African based organization dedicated to creating and enabling engaging, integrated, high-quality learning experiences in Mathematics and the Sciences for learners and teachers in South Africa and globally. The set of 14 textbooks are completely open and free to use. All resources are Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported licensed.
The subjects covered in this resource series are: Earth science, Physics, Chemistry, Biological and life sciences, Algebra, Trigonometry, Statistics, Probability, and Math literacy.
The list below is complete listing of textbook added:
- Natural Sciences and Technology Grade 4,5,6 – Open Textbooks (3 resources)
- Natural Sciences Grade 7,8,9 – Open Textbooks (3 resources)
- Physical Sciences Grade 10,11,12 – Open Textbooks (3 resources)
- Life Sciences Grade 10 – Open Textbook (1 resource)
- Mathematics Grade 10,11,12 – Open Textbooks (3 resources)
- Mathematical literacy Grade 10 – Open Textbook (1 resource)
The NCCCS courses that these resource may supplement are: PHY101, CHM090, CHM094, MAT121, DMA065, MAT3713, and MAT110.
To access these resources, you can do any of the following:
Due to a resource reorganization at CK-12, the NCLOR needed to re-catalog all the resources available from the CK-12 foundation. The FlexBooks® currently available (72), have now been downloaded to the NCLOR directly in PDF and ePub formats. To view the files you will need a pdf reader or an iOS device, Android device or ePub reader to view the ePub files. All older versions of the resources in the CK-12 series have been archived.
FlexBook® textbooks are CK-12’s open source digital textbooks.
The CK-12 Foundation is a non-profit organization with a mission to reduce the cost of textbook materials for the K-12 market both in the U.S. and worldwide. Using an open-content, web-based collaborative model termed the FlexBook®, CK-12 intends to pioneer the generation and distribution of high-quality educational content that will serve both as core text as well as provide an adaptive environment for learning.
Except as otherwise noted, all CK-12 Content is made available to users in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC 3.0) License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/), as amended and updated by Creative Commons from time to time (the “CC License”), which is incorporated herein by this reference.
Click on the links below to view the different FlexBook® subjects available in this resource series collection.
- Science : Biology (14), Chemistry (4), Earth Science (4), Life Science (4), and Physics (7)
- Mathematics : Algebra (8), Analysis (3), Calculus (4), Geometry (8), Probability (6), Statistics (6), and Trigonometry (5)
- Engineering (3)
- English (3)
- Technology (1)
- Astronomy (1)
- History (2)
The NCCCS courses that these resource may supplement are: AST111, AST111A, BIO090, BIO094, BIO100, BIO106, BIO110, BIO111, BIO112, BIO150, BIO162, BIO163, CHM080, CHM081, CHM082, CHM130, CHM132, DFT214, DMA030, EGR110, EGY2000, ENG125, ENG126, EVN110, HIS131, JOU110, MAT121, MAT122, MAT142, MAT223, MAT252, MAT263, MAT271, PHY101, PHY110, PHY121, and PHY122.
To access these resources, you can do any of the following:
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction in partnership with NC School of Science and Mathematics have developed sixteen open courses in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) with over 3,500 resources. These STEM courses, now available in the NCLOR, have been designed to give teachers the materials they need to teach four, full-year courses in the subjects of: Agriscience & Biotechnology, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Energy & Sustainability, and Health & Life Sciences. The courses are organized into topical lessons and those lessons are organized into units based on themes. Many of the units are fully integrated STEM units, meaning they contain real-world challenges and authentic assessments in science, technology, engineering and math.
All course content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Course Details: Click on any of the courses outlined below to view course contents in more detail.
- Course 1: Fundamentals of Flight (15 Units)
- Course 2: Material Science and Electrical Applications (10 Units)
- Course 3: Automation ( 8 Units )
- Course 4: Security (6 Units)
- Course 1: Agricultural Ecology (9 Units)
- Course 2: Agricultural Genetics (7 Units)
- Course 3: Agricultural Biotechnology (8 Units)
- Course 4: Agricultural Solutions (8 Units)
- Course 1: Foundations (7 Units)
- Course 2: Planetary Boundaries (8 Units)
- Course 3: Human Impacts (10 Units)
- Course 4: Paths to Global Solutions (10 Units)
- Course 1: Biomedical Systems I (8 Units)
- Course 2: Biomedical Systems II (7 Units)
- Course 3: Biomaterials, Statics, and Strength of Materials (7 Units)
- Course 4: Neuroscience, Neuroengineering, and Neuroeconomics (4 Units)
To access these courses, you can do any of the following:
- Click on any of the links above.
- Log into the NCLOR and click on “Browse by NCSSM STEM Courses ” on the left menu bar.
- If you are K-14 faculty, you can add the links to the resources directly to your LMS based course. (learn how)
Forty-two new science resources were added to the open educational resources collection of the NCLOR on January 24th, 2014. The UNC-TV Science website is sponsored by a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and by UNC-TV members. The new resources included in this series are the North Carolina Science Now and the resources included in Quest NC.
- North Carolina Science Now is a weekly series that airs on UNC-TV. The series promotes awareness and understanding of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) subjects critically important to our state and nation’s future.
- QUEST is a consortium of public media providers across the country coming together in a unique collaboration to foster widespread STEM literacy for general audiences. Quest NC is North Carolina’s contribution to that collaboration.
To access this series, you can do any of the following:
Six new learning resources have been added to the NC BioNetwork collection of the NCLOR. The newly added resources included in this addition are: Performance Verification of an Analytical Balance (video), Strawberry DNA Extraction (video), pH Meter Calibration (video), Manufacturing Safety & Awareness (tutorial), Preparing for the Professional Interview (tutorial) and the VINSIM – Virtual Vineyard (Simulation). These new resources join the other 53 outstanding resource also included in the NC BioNetwork collection.
To access this series you can do any of the following: